Beef and Eggplant Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small brown onion, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1kg beef finger ribs, cut into small chunks
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 2 cups (500ml) basil & tomato pasta sauce
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 5cm chunks
- 500g dried penne pasta
- To serve parmesan and basil leaves
Heat oil in a large deep saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, rosemary and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 8 minutes or until caramelised. Add beef and continue to cook for 8 minutes or until browned.
To the pot, add the beef stock and basil pasta sauce and mix to combine. Place the lid on top and cook over low heat for 3 hours. In the last 30 minutes of cooking add the eggplant and mix to combine. Continue to cook until the eggplant has softened.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to packet instructions and drain.
To serve, stir pasta through beef ragu and scatter with parmesan and basil leaves. Enjoy.