Beef Sausage Rolls
Beef and Thyme Sausage Rolls
- Prep: 20 mins
- Cook: 40-45 mins
- Total: 20 mins
- Servings: 4
- 2 tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 sprigs thyme leaves, plus extra to serve
- 2 small carrots, finely grated
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 500g Our farm premium beef mince with 15% liver
- 1 egg, lightly beaten, plus 1 yolk
- ½ cup (25g) fresh breadcrumbs
- ½ tsp chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- Caramelised onion jam, to serve
Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat, add onion and cook for 7-8 minutes or until softened. Add garlic, thyme, carrots, half of the fennel seeds and cook for a further 5-6 minutes or until carrots have softened. Set aside to cool completely.
In a bowl combine Our Farm beef mince, carrot mixture, egg, breadcrumbs, chilli flakes and season with salt and pepper.
Divide the filling between pastry sheets, forming a log across the centre. Brush the edge nearest to you with beaten yolk, then fold the far edge over to enclose and seal. Place on prepared tray, brush pastry with yolk. Scatter with remaining fennel seeds and place on the lined baking tray.
Bake sausage rolls for 40-45 minutes, rotating halfway, until golden brown and crispy.
Serve with onion jam and extra thyme leaves.